Thursday, April 23, 2009

Seattle Borders.

I would have to say that the "border" that most affects me is probably the fact that I live in Sandpoint which is a bit removed from the U-District. Like many other fellow classmates have mentioned, U-District is one of the many districts that fill Seattle and is a little enclave in itself. Since I am a University student, my life revolves around the U District and the UW campus. Although the 30 as well as the 75 connects me to campus the separation is still felt, especially in the wee hours of the night when I am odeing (fictitious verb that means "to study at Odegaard").

The 30 stops running at 1:27 am and the 75 stops running at 12:52 a.m. on the weekends. This means that if I need to study at the library and I either miss or need to stay longer than the last running bus which is the 30 than I will have to wait till 5:18 a.m. until the busses start running again. For the night, I am separated from home and must spend the night at the library. This is a constant occurrence and for many a nights, the library becomes an island away from home where I have no choice but to wait until human activity begins to start up again in the morning.

The visual that comes up in my head is a simple little pictures of my home as one island and the campus as one and this thin little line that connects the two by the metro. When that little lifeline stops running, (I don't have any other means of transportation, no bike, no car, no scooter... hahaha no nothing), then i'm stuck!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anna,
    Not sure what you are wanting to focus on as a project during your time in Berlin, but reading your wall assignment made me think that the DAAD might be a good resource:
    http://www.magazine-deutschland.de/en/artikel-en/article/article/die-koreaner-vernetzen-sich.html

    ReplyDelete